Where I’ve Been

I used to think a hospital stay would be sort of like, you know, a stay at a mini-resort. Lots of pampering, relaxing and reading, naps whenever you feel like it, a chance to recoup and revive.

Yeah, not so much.

Might have been the oxygen, lumbar puncture, high fever, IVs and general pain and misery that detracted from my enjoyment.  It was not the way I planned to spend my 4th of July weekend, nor the week following.

I’m back now though, walking, eating, no longer ill. I get tired quickly, but I’m working on that. I’ll be back to my old me in no time.

Surprisingly, I didn’t miss Twitter, blogs, Fetlife or even writing. For a few days, when I had no energy to even speak, the only thing I wanted in the world was to talk to W and Ad, both of who stayed with me at the hospital throughout it all–W even stayed overnight, sleeping in an easy chair next to my hospital bed, waking when I did, holding my hand, smoothing my hair back from my face, keeping watch on me. It was he that alerted the nursing staff to the fact that I was having difficulty breathing and retaining water, which led to them having to drain fluid from my lungs and a diagnosis of pneumonia. Ad rearranged his work schedule so he could sit with me during the day, spelling W long enough to get a shower before he came back, and the two of them sat silent vigil while I slept fitfully in a haze of drugs, fever and pain.  No, I didn’t miss blogland or the internet or any of my many blog/IM/texting friends during that time.

As I said, I’m back now, though, and starting to catch up. I’m not ready to write in PoJ yet, but I did make a new banner, something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. (Whatcha think?  I kind of like it.) I’d like to do one here too, but I don’t really have any pictures that epitomize our relationship (even the one above features someone who isn’t a part of our lives anymore.)

I’m finishing up my summer class and back at work, working half days in the office and half at home.  W went home last night (he stayed here after I got out of the hospital) and tonight I am home with Ad and the kids. I am easing back into my routines, and grateful to be able to.

Life is good.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *