But before I do that, I want to throw a shout out to a few of the bloggers that have been doing their own old-year/new-year posts. While I’ve been largely absent from my own blogspace lately, having little energy or time for writing, the last thing I’ve done before bed each night is read a blog entry or two from other bloggers, and this past week has filled me with pleasure as I have used these posts to catch up with all my blogging friends. I don’t use the word “friends” lightly, by the way. It truly feels like “catching up with friends,” as much as doing so at a party in real life is. So thank you to you all for helping me to celebrate the year past, and bring in the new!
- Insatiable Desire wraps up the best and worst of her 2014 in her posts 10 Things I Hate About 2014 and 10 Things I Love About 2014.
- Beck and Her Kinks does a Best & Worst Toys of 2014, as does Penny’s Dirty Thoughts & Gritty Woman. I have bookmarked these posts to refer back to when I get out from under house renovations and am ready to buy myself a reward. ;-)
- Penny also did a Blog Highlights of 2014 post in which she highlights some of her favorite blog posts of 2014 (a favorite of mine, Why I Post Nude Photos of Myself is on the list.) She concludes by looking to 2015.
- A Woman of Certain Age writes about Sex and Love: My 2015 New Year Intention, which is both a retrospective and a look forward, as she muses on growing to know, accept and love herself.
- A Sex Blog of Sorts has an ongoing “Best of 2014″ list (a riff off the Twelve days of Christmas) in which she features her favorite bloggers of 2014 and three of her favorite posts of theirs. I absolutely love this series, as I have found quite a few wonderful new blogs and specific blog posts through it. I may have more to write about a few of them myself in the coming weeks.
- In a similar vein, Rebel’s Notes does a unique take on the retrospective by featuring a month-by-month “favorites” post as well – favorite posts by other bloggers, favorite images and blog posts of her own and accomplishments in that month – in two posts, January – June and July – December.
- Cammies on the Floor participates again in the first line retrospective meme in 2014 First Lines Reveal, but hers is much better than what I have done in the past (simply linking to the first line.) She gives us a little summary of what was going on that inspired the post – details that I love, and a method that I am going to emulate myself.
- Molly’s Daily Kiss celebrates 2 million unique page views on her blog (two MILLION!) by featuring a summary of each month’s most read post in A Year in the Life. Way to go, Moll – here’s to two million more!
And now, on to my Year-End Retrospective… (link on the month to go to a list of all the month’s posts, or the title of the post just to go to that one.)
One of the best things about doing this retrospective is that I get to look back and remember everything myself, along with you. What a year 2014 was! Some big, big changes, many of which I talk about and preview in this post. I loved rereading it, reliving all the joys, surprises and adventures that awaited me in January, and in 2014. And my snow angel picture made me giggle all over again.
February (34 posts) – February Photofest – Day 1 “I’ve joined the Challenge! Each day, along with my regular posts, I will be posting a single image for the February Photofest” and A Bushy Tale: “Well, and a bushy tail. But I’m not going there, at least as a pictorial.”
In which I decided to take the plunge and post a photo a day along with Molly (and others.) In my follow-up post, I talked about the reveal in that first Photofest pictorial: I was going bushy for the month.
March (17 posts) – Finding My Balance “So. Apparently, balance is a common and recurring theme in my life, since I have posted on the topic many times: Assisted Yoga: Balance, Balance, part 1, Balance, part 2, Balance & “Wank Wednesday”, HNT – Balance, When Life Goes Sideways.”
Those first few months were so incredible. An amazing train trip out to California for a month in January, then back home for a moment before heading out to Eleuthera, and then, two weeks later, driving out for a month of house sitting alone in a cabin in Pennsylvania. This post was the beginning of that trip, and all the surprises, challenges and joys it would hold.
The beginning of the end of my gallivanting around, this post touched on the our trip a bit, but also allowed me to post one of my favorite “boobies and cowboy hat” photos.
By May the stress of knowing I was going to be jobless soon was getting to me, and the novelty of “working anywhere” was beginning to wear off as well. This post was a much-needed hiatus from all of that.
I didn’t do a lot of erotica writing in 2014 (um, read: any erotica writing), and I don’t usually write for contests, but this seemed like a fun way to exercise my writing chops. What else happened in June? Well, I made a colossal, classic social media blunder and had to hide my Twitter presence for awhile. I also gave a job interview while driving to a kinky weekend event, and secured not one, but two job offers. Oh, and there was a bit of kink as well.
This is the post in which I talk about the job offers mentioned above, and about why I wasn’t going to accept the one everyone else in the world thought was the “better” offer. Then I barely blog for the rest of the month.
August (16 posts) – News & Notes, Week of July 27 “It’s obnoxious to be awake at 4am. Especially when I have to be at work at 8:30, bright and chipper, and on-the-ball for my first day without my predecessor, who officially retired yesterday.”
Looks like I’m getting back on the blogging wagon in August, starting out with a post about another huge change in my life: a new job working full-time in an office, with new workmates and a new work culture. This month also saw a return to some kink in my life, as well as the end of the Alphabet Challenge, begun almost two years previously.
September (22 posts) – The Big Book of Submission – 69 Kinky Tales “Whew! It’s been awhile since I posted on Jade Melisande. If you follow me here, then you know why; if you don’t, suffice it to say my life outside of writing and kink got pretty hectic.”
Originally posted over on Jade Melisande (my author page) as a Blog Hop post for the Big Book of Submission, I decided to post it here as well, because I couldn’t post the video along with it, and the video is pretty darn cute. If you haven’t seen it, go do so, now. Seriously. It’s fun. The publishing of the BBoS marked the last of my stories from the year before’s crazy writing & publishing frenzy, and the month featured a whole slew of Scavenger Hunts as I participated in Curvaceous Dee’s Scavenger Hunt Month. Also, it was my birthday month, tho the post on my UNbirthday Party didn’t come until October.
October (15 posts) – Where It Comes From “In case you haven’t noticed, I didn’t post anything for the last two Kink of the Weeks (school girl fetish & gas masks.) I know, I know, I should post something, after all it is my meme, right?”
2014 marked a change in my Kink of the Week meme, in which I decided to do it twice a month as opposed to weekly. But I was still having difficulty keeping up with it, at least in regards to writing my own posts for it. That didn’t mean I wasn’t thinking about the topics a lot though, and in this first post in October, I wrote some of those musings. October was rough not just for blogging, but also for us kink- and sex-wise, as various ailments and other impediments reared their ugly heads. Still, I did have some sex, and of course that inspired some sexy writing, in Cock-Gag. Oh, and this may have been the month that I mentioned the possibility of us all moving in together (for real) for the first time.
Thus began a short story I wrote for the Wicked Wednesday prompt “Fairytales.” It was my first piece of fiction in quite some time, and it came out of me almost all in one sitting, with little-to-no prompting or revisions. I loved it from the moment it started pouring from me, as apparently quite a few others did – it made it into the Top Three in that month’s e[lust]. We also had a birthday celebration for Ad, and furthered our discussions about the new house, which we had just submitted a bid on.
December (8 posts) – Community “It’s strange how insular – isolated, even – one can become, even out here on the big wide internet. As a blogger, I have a fairly narrow focus, and belong to a fairly small subset of bloggers, and then within that subset I inhabit an even smaller circle, writing about kink and alternative relationships almost exclusively.”
December marked the month that everything changed for us all, in a way so monumental it is hard to believe sometimes. We bought a house, and inside of the next month, we will all be living here. But before that, I talked about this blogging community that I belong to, and what that means to me. The majority of my posts this month have been what I call “thought pieces.” Posts in which I muse and mumble and ramble on, but which don’t have a whole lot of sex or kink – mostly because when I’m not getting any, I find it difficult to write about it. One notable exception was Sexing Him in the Morning, a piece that I enjoyed writing (and living) immensely.
And that wraps up 2014! Thank you all for hanging out here with me, for sharing yourselves with me and spending time here in this blogspace that I love so much. I wish you all the best in the year ahead!